I currently have 3108 matches at 23andme. I decided to look at the known surnames of my 32 GGGGrandparents, pedigree numbers 32-63, to see how many matches I have for each surname:
pedigree # Surname number of matches
32 Perkins 30
34 Shepard 145
35 Smith 164
36 Creekmore 13
37 Porch 1
38 Campbell 35
40 Walker 38
41 Bishop 18
42 Wiatt/Wyatt 4
43 Sullivan 12
44 Manning 18
45 Anderson 50
46 Moses 9
47 Richardson 15
48 Ball 67
49 May 69
50 Phipps 5
51 Davenport 9
52 Strunk 15
53 Pennington 15
54 Davis 80
55 Creekmore 13
56 Swain 8
58 Ball 67
59 May 69
60 Kidd 9
61 Bagley/Begley 4
62 Stephens 38
63 Hayes/Hays 22
Monday, October 5, 2015
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
This post will be at this blog and at my genetic genealogy blog. I have been doing autosomal DNA testing of my 22 non-sex chromosomes and my 2 sex-based chromosomes at Family Tree DNA, the Family Finder test; at 23andme, the Relative Finder test, and at AncestryDNA. These tests can help you find relatives related to you from the first degree, parents, siblings, grandparents, through 5 or 6th cousins. In order to do that more easily it is a good idea to have an extensive pedigree of your direct ancestors and of their descendants. People who share a GGGGG Grandparent with you are 5th cousins. So in order to alert my 5th cousins to our possible DNA match, here is a list of my known GGGGG Grandparents:
- FNU=first name unknown
- LNU=last name unnown
- ?=uncertain of that element
- Timothy Perkins, b New Haven, CT died during the Revolutionary War in VA or NC or SC. He and his brother Joseph were Loyalists.
- Miriam Sperry, b 1743 in Wallingford, New Haven Co, Connecticut, died after 1780 in North Carolina.
- William Shepard, b ???, d before 1790 in Virginia or North Carolina.
- Elizabeth, LNU,
- James Smith, 1752, VA, d 1833, Holston, Scott, VA, USA.
- Nancy Mulkey, d after 1795, VA or Sauta Cave, Alabama?
- Robert Creekmore, b 1760, Norfolk, VA, d 1824, Whitley Co., KY (Will Bk 1, p 10).
- Elizabeth Batchelor, b 1761, VA, d Nov 1829, Whitley Co., KY (Will Bk 1, pp 29-30 Probate Sale).
- Henry Porch, b 1758, Abingdon, Gloucester Co., VA, d 1849, Whitley Co., KY (Served in Revolutionary War, 1778-79 Capt. Wm Allen Green; 1781 Capt Sharp's Co., NC Service. Pension, W9234, BLWt 57777-160-55).
- Rebecca P. Denton or Benton, before 1755, NC, d 1866, Pulaski Co., KY.
- James Campbell, b 1763, NC, d 1829-1831, Whitley Co., KY (Will Bk 1, pp 37-38).
- Anna Osburn, b 1764, PA, d 1852, Whitley Co., KY.
- Renelder Walker, b about 1748, probably Frederick Co.,MD, d after 1826 in Knox or Whitley Co., KY or MO (Renalder was named nearest of kin in his [father's estate] inventory, 16 June 1766, Frederick County, Md. Prerogative Court, MD, (Inventories) 90, pp. 148-150). Marriage bond 27 Nov 1778, Wilkes Co., NC.
- Mary Wilcoxon, b 1760 Rowan Co., NC, d 1830, Lafayette Co., MO. (Niece of Daniel Boone. Daughter of his elder sister, Sarah.).
- William Bishop, b 1755-1760, PA, d 1834 Whitley Co., KY (Will Bk 1, p 54, Inventory)Served in Rev War, Capt John Rice's Co., Col Adam Stephens' Rgmt, Gen Daniel Morgan's Brigade. Was at Battles of the Brandywine and Germantown. Discharged at White Marsh, Pension Application, Whitley Co., KY Circuit Court Order Book A-B-C, p. 54, 18 July 1820.
- Jane Tuggle, b d 1840?, Whitley Co., KY (Buried Wolf Creek Baptist Church Cemetery)
- Samuel Wiatt, b about 1745 VA, d 1835 Knox Co., KY (Rev. War veteran, N.C. Militia Species pay Certificate No. 603, dated 12 Jun. 1783). Will Knox Co., KY 1835.
- Rebecca Bennett, b 1763 Greenbrier CO., VA, d 1837 Knox Co., KY.
- Rev James Sullivan, b before 1765 Northumberland Co., VA d 1817-18, Williamsburg, Knox Co., KY (Whitley Co., KY, Will Bk 1, p25, made 9 Feb 1817 or 18? Nuncupative will on deathbed recorded July 20,1818, Book 1 Page 25). Served in 1st VA State Rgmt., Rev War. In Yellow Springs Hospital at Valley Forge, 4 Apr 1778. Methodist Minister. Ordained by Bishop Asberry in Knoxville, TN in 1793. School teacher at Carrol School on Cumberland River and Clear Fork Creek.
- Eleanor Wilson, b 1769, d 1834, Williamsburg, Knox Co., KY.
- William Manning, b 1775 VA d 1867 Whitley Co., KY. He was a blacksmith.
- Nancy Whitecotton, b 1780-1785 VA, d 1852 Whitley Co., KY. (2nd wife).
- Jacob Anderson, b about 1779 VA, d 1850-1860, Whitely Co., KY.
- Nancy Anne Richardson, b about 1771, d between 1820-25, Whitley Co., KY.
- Rev John Moses, b about 1772, NC d after 1860, McNairy Co., TN (Old Style Baptist Minister).
- Mary "Polly" Richmond.
- John Richardson, b 1765 VA? d 1840, Whitley Co., KY.
- Elizabeth Davis. b 1778 d after 1860, Whitley Co., KY.
- George Ball, b 1751-52, Fairfax Co., VA d 1825, Russell Co., VA
- Elizabeth Tunnell, b 1756, Stafford Co., VA, d Russell Co., VA?
- James Harvey May,b 1739, England d between 1830 and 1840 Pike Co., KY. Transported as a prisoner from Middlesex Gaol, 1774 on the Ship Justitia, to Baltimore, MD. Alias of Emmanuel Mills. He may have been a Loyalist in Rev War. (Buried in John Runyan Cemetery, Pike Co., KY).
- Elizabeth "Betsy" King, d before 1840 Pike Co., KY. (Buried in John Runyan Cemetery, Pike Co., KY).
- Joshua Phipps, b about 1765, VA d after 1850, Cheriton, Randolph Co., MO?
- Elizabeth Rice, b 1790 VA, D 1830 Green Co., KY.
- John Davenport, b 1770 VA d unknown. 1830 dismissal from Concord Baptist Church, Wayne CO., KY. May have gone to Indiana. Married in 1796 in Patrick Co., VA. Maybe a son of Elisha Davenport, aged 80-90 in 1830 Wayne Co., KY Census.
- Nancy Burnett, b 1772 VA, d unknown. 1830 dismissal from Concord Baptist Church, Wayne Co., KY.
- Daniel Strunk, abt 1775, PA, MD, VA? d 1852 Whitley Co., KY. Constable of Ashe Co., NC 1806 and 1814. Moved to Whitley Co., KY by 1820 Census. At least four wives and 30+ children.
- Margaret "Peggy" Williams?, abt 1780, NC d aft 1860 Census Cumberland Co., KY. Granted divorce from Daniel 1821 in Whitley Co., KY. Named as Margareta in Divorce Decree.
- FNU Pennington, unknown father of Abigail Pennington, 2nd wife of Abraham Strunk. See Abraham Strunk Divorce.
- Unknown mother of Abigail Pennington, 2nd wife of Abraham Strunk. See above.
- FNU Davis, unknown father of John Davis
- Unknown, unknown mother of John Davis
- Ballentine Creekmore, b 1750-60 d between 1830 and 1840 Whitley Co., KY. In Nash Co., NC in 1790 and 1800 Censuses, in Knox Co., KY in 1810 Census and in Whitley Co., KY in 1820 and 1830 Censuses. Age recorded as between 60 and 69 in 1830.
- Barsheba Batchelor, b 1766 Norfolk, Norfolk, VA or Nash Co., NC, d bef 1840 Whitley Co., KY.
- FNU Swain, unknown father of John DeSwain or John D. Swain from VA to Whitley Co., KY.
- George Ball, See above #64.
- Elizabeth Tunnel/l, See above #65.
- James Harvey May, See above #66.
- Elizabeth "Betsy" King, See above #67.
- William Kidd, b aft 1737, VA? d between 1801 and 1821, Tazewell Co., VA or Wayne Co., KY (date of brother Samuel Kidd's estate in Fluvanna Co., VA) William was sometime of Albemarle Co., VA. Named in his father Aaron Kidd's will in Albemarle Co., VA in 1775.
- FNU Bagley or Begley, possibly of Tazewell Co., VA.
- Thomas Stephens, b abt 1750 (VA or NC) d abt 1836, Fentress Co., TN. Rev War.
- Sarah Miller, b 12 March 1747 or 57 (possibly in England) d bef 1836, Fentress Co., TN.
- FNU Hays or Hayes
Friday, February 20, 2015
Ancestry has a blog post out by Dan Lawyer is a Senior Director of Product at Ancestry, about a new page design and feature set they will introduce this year. You can read it here Sneak Peek. This looks like a very nice re-design of the pages and an interesting attempt to make the genealogy information more exciting to people who use the site. There is a link to add your name to the waiting list for the Beta test of the new site design.