Sunday, May 5, 2019

Finding my parents' marriage information

Both of my parents have been gone for many years. I had been told that they were married at the First Baptist Church in Ludlow, Kentucky, in 1947. Although I had a leather-bound genealogy my mother started and her Bible, I did not have a copy of their marriage certificate. Searching the county records online never found them and the Church said they did not have any records for that year.

Recently I subscribed to Newspapers.com and found the announcement of the issue of a marriage license to them. Writing to the Boone County Clerk of Court office I was able to get a copy of the marriage license and the return of marriage. In it my father was listed as being in the Navy and living in Brooklyn, New York, and my mother as living in Cincinnati. Since I already knew my father was working on a Navy tub boat in New York Harbour at that time, I am now looking to see if he was living on-base at the Brooklyn Navy Yard or somewhere off-base and if my mother also lived in Brooklyn for sometime.

I had used other newspaper databases without luck before I finally subscribed to Newspapers.com. So always try every resource.

No comments: